12/10/08

Tis' the Season to Remember Our Savior

I was just made the new Enrichment Leader in our ward and we had our Christmas Social tonight. We called it a "Cozy Christmas" and it turned out really nice. Everyone brought a favorite munchie or appetizer and we had a short lesson about the symbols of Christmas (thanks Shannon for helping us remember the symbols of Christ all around us during this season!). Then a few of us had some craft items available to make very simple ornaments to give to sisters that we visit teach or anyone else. I had a poem matted on some card stock with a simple flat head nail with a red ribbon attached. This was the poem:

A Nail at Christmas

It's Christmas time at our house
and we are putting up the tree.
I wish I could find one simple way
to remember Christ's gift to me.

Some little sign or symbol
to show friends stopping by.
The little baby was born one day,
But He really came to die.

Some symbol of His nail pierced hands,
the blood He shed for you & me...
What if I hung a simple nail
upon my Christmas tree?

A crimson bow tied 'round the nail
as His blood flowed down so free
to save each person from their sin
and redeem us for all eternity.

I know it was His love for us
that held Him to that tree,
but when I see this simple nail
I know He died for me

I love this poem and the simple ornament you can add to your Christmas tree as a reminder of our Savior and his sacrifice for us. Use it in your family home evenings or give it to someone to spread the Christmas Spirit.

With my new calling comes the challenge of organizing our "classes" or activities for the coming year for our Relief Society Enrichment Program. Give me some feedback! All of you "lurkers" who are scoping out my blog and never leave comments, here is your chance! Let me know what your ward has done, is doing, what you would like to see happen in your Enrichment Activities. I could use some ideas and help! Thanks!

3 comments:

Maree said...

Are you talking about the non-Enrichment night activities throughout the year? If so, park group, cooking group, book club, crafters/scrapping group, card exchange--all things I have loved/wanted to have. For an Enrichment night, our ward usually has people sign up to be in charge of decorating a table--so all of the tables look different, but are all in the "theme" of the night--takes the heat off of the Enrichment committee (and doesn't spoil your budget on paper stuff).

In March, we usually do a secret sister week, followed by the traditional RS b-day Enrichment night where we reveal ourselves--last 2 years our Enrichment night has been a Happy Birthday Everyone night with some kind of speaker/program about RS AND some fun get to know you better games.

Knudson said...

La thanks for the poem i will use it! I loved last night too! You will do great! Hey you wont have a super Sat. for a year lucky you!
love Bec

OLIVIA said...

Congrats on the new calling! I know you will do great! I second all the good ideas above, but would add to the cooking group suggestion a "cooking light" group.

Merry Christmas!